U7 Division Mandate for the 2020-2021 Hockey Season
Hockey Canada & Ontario Hockey Federation have established national guidelines to ensure optimal development of hockey players at this crucial introductory stage.
• To have fun while playing hockey and engaging in physical activity.
• To learn the fundamental skills required to play the game of hockey.
• To develop and refine basic motor patterns.
• To be introduced to the concepts of cooperation and fair play.
Implementation for the 2020/2021 Season
Playing Surface (REQUIREMENT)
- All U7 will be played at cross-ice or a maximum size of 100 feet by 60 feet (100x60) for the entire season.
Player Evaluations, Selections (REQUIREMENT)
- No tiering or evaluations during the off-season phase (previous season, including March through August).
- Must offer a minimum of four (4) practice/skill sessions prior to formal tiering or evaluations beginning.
- Must have a minimum of three (3) formal evaluation sessions.
Cross-Ice Game Play Rules
- 4-on-4 format.
- 60-minute game length. Two periods with a run-time clock.
- Timed buzzer or whistle for line changes, shift length not to exceed two minutes.
- Minimum of one official.
- No score, standings or stats are kept.
- Blue or black puck used.
- Net size – 3x4 or 4x6.
Fair and Equal Ice Time
- All players and goaltenders should receive fair and as close to equal as possible ice time.
- Positional Rotation:
- All players play all positions (RECOMMENDATION)
- No full-time goaltenders. (RECOMMENDATION)
- All players have the option to play goal at least once. (RECOMMENDATION)
- There are no playoffs in U7.
Seasonal Structure (REQUIREMENT) (Covid Guidelines can impact # of games, practices for 20-21 season)
Development Phase (up to 12 weeks)
- See Player Evaluations/Tryouts above.
Development and Regular Season Phase (Up to 14 weeks)
- Teams must have a period of development time following tryouts prior to the start of the regular season.
Tournament are Jamboree Format
- Recommended maximum of 25 games per year (includes exhibition, league, tournaments and jamborees) (RECOMMENDED)
- Seasonal Breaks – season should allow for two seasonal breaks of a minimum of five days without a scheduled game or mandatory practice. (RECOMMENDED)
Offseason Phase (end of season to August)
- Jamboree engages players in a fun environment. Games may or may not be competitive and the emphasis is on fun and fair play, no standings are kept.
The full Player Pathways details and documents for U7 can be found here. https://www.ohf.on.ca/players/player-pathways/u7-player-pathway
Last updated: April 13, 2020