U11 (Formerly Atom) Division Mandate for the 2020-2021 Hockey Season
U11 (Formerly Atom) Player Pathway As per OHF Policy
Player Evaluations, Selections, Tryouts (REQUIREMENT) (Not valid for 20-21 season due to Covid restrictions)
- No tryouts prior to or during the first week of school.
- No tryouts during the off-season phase (previous season, including March through August).
- No tryouts during the first week of school where school starts the week after Labour Day.
- Where school starts prior to Labour Day, there must be four skates/practices starting the week following Labour Day before tryouts commence.
- Must offer a minimum of four practice/skill sessions prior to formal evaluation starting.
- Must have a minimum of three formal evaluation sessions:
- One skills session, one small-area games session, one formal game. (RECOMMENDATION)
- Players should not try out based on a specific position, but should be encouraged to play both forward and defense in tryouts. (RECOMMENDATION)
- Players should be selected for teams based on skill, not positional preference. (RECOMMENDATION)
Fair and Equal Ice Time (REQUIREMENT)
- All players and goaltenders should receive fair and as close to equal as possible ice time.
- Positional Rotation:
- All players play all positions (RECOMMENDATION)
- Full-time goaltender allowed.
- Goaltenders rotate for equal amount of playing time throughout the regular season and playoffs. (RECOMMENDATION)
Seasonal Structure (REQUIREMENT) (not valid due to covid restrictions)
- Preparation Phase (up to 2 Weeks)
Development Phase (up to 4 weeks)
- See Player Tryouts above.
Development and Regular Season Phase (Up to 22 weeks)
- Teams must have a period of development time following tryouts prior to the start of the regular season.
Playoff Phase (up to 4 weeks)
- Recommended maximum of 45 games per year (includes exhibition, league, tournament and playoff games).
- Seasonal Breaks
Offseason Phase (end of season to August)
- Tournament style.
Position-Specific Training (RECOMMENDATION)
- Small-area games in practice/station-based practices/skill-focused drills
- Only 15% of practice time should be spent on team play and strategy/systems with 85% of practice time spent on skills and tactics.
- Limit position-specific specialization (except for goalies).
The Players Pathways details and documents for U11 can be found here https://www.ohf.on.ca/players/player-pathways/u11-player-pathway.
Last updated April 13, 2020